Why is Hyzaar prescribed?
The combination of Hyzaar and hydrochlorothiazide is used to treat high blood pressure. It blocks the action of certain chemicals that tighten the blood vessels so blood flows more smoothly. It also causes the kidneys to get rid of unneeded water and salt from the body into the urine.
Losartan is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should Hyzaar be used?
The combination of Hyzaar and hydrochlorothiazide comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken once or twice a day. If you are to take it once a day, take it in the morning; if you are to take it twice a day, take it in the morning and in the late afternoon to avoid having to go to the bathroom during the night. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take Losartan and hydrochlorothiazide exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor. The combination of Hyzaar and hydrochlorothiazide controls high blood pressure but does not cure it. Continue to take Losartan and hydrochlorothiazide even if you feel well. Do not stop taking Losartan and hydrochlorothiazide without talking to your doctor.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking hyzaar and hydrochlorothiazide,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to Hyzaar, hydrochlorothiazide, sulfa drugs, or any other drugs.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Nuprin, or Advil) or naproxen (Aleve), barbiturates (phenobarbital), corticosteroids (prednisone), digoxin (Lanoxin, Lanoxicaps), diuretics ('water pills'), lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid), medications for diabetes, other medications for high blood pressure, potassium supplements, probenecid (Benemid), and vitamins. If you are also taking cholestyramine (Questran, Prevalite) or colestipol (Colestid), take it at least 1 hour after Hyzaar and hydrochlorothiazide.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had gout; systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE); asthma; thyroid, liver, heart, or kidney disease; or diabetes.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking Losartan and hydrochlorothiazide.
- you should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how Hyzaar and hydrochlorothiazide will affect you.
remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by Losartan.
- plan to avoid unnecessary or prolonged exposure to sunlight and to wear protective clothing, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Hyzaar and hydrochlorothiazide may make your skin sensitive to sunlight.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
What side effects can Hyzaar cause?
Although side effects from Hyzaar and hydrochlorothiazide are not common, they can occur. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- stomach pain
- muscle aches
- hair loss
- swelling of the face, eyes, lips, tongue, arms, or legs
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- sore throat with fever
- unusual bleeding or bruising
What storage conditions are needed for Hyzaar?
Keep Losartan in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
What other information should I know?
Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory. Your blood pressure should be checked regularly to determine your response to Hyzaar and hydrochlorothiazide. Your doctor will order certain blood tests to monitor you response to Hyzaar and hydrochlorothiazide.
Do not let anyone else take your medication. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.