Why is Tapazol Methimazole 5mg prescribed?
Tapazol Methimazole 5mg is used to treat hyperthyroidism, a condition that occurs when the thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone. It is also taken before thyroid surgery or radioactive iodine therapy.
Tapazol Methimazole 5mg is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should Tapazol Methimazole 5mg be used?
Tapazol Methimazole 5mg comes as a tablet and usually is taken three times a day, approximately every 8 hours, with food. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking Tapazol Methimazole 5mg,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to methimazol, lactose, or any other drugs.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially anticoagulants ('blood thinners') such as warfarin (Coumadin), beta blockers such as propranolol (Inderal), diabetes medications, digoxin (Lanoxin), theophylline (Theobid, Theo-Dur), and vitamins.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had any blood disease, such as decreased white blood cells (leukopenia), decreased platelets (thrombocytopenia), or aplastic anemia, or liver disease (hepatitis, jaundice).
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. Tapazol Methimazole 5mg should not be used during pregnancy or breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking Tapazol Methimazole 5mg, call your doctor immediately. Tapazol Methimazole 5mg may harm the fetus.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking Tapazol Methimazole 5mg.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Tapazol Methimazole 5mg may cause an upset stomach. Take Tapazol Methimazole 5mg with food or milk.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule at evenly spaced, 8-hour intervals. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
What side effects can Tapazol Methimazole 5mg cause?
Although side effects from Tapazol Methimazole 5mg are not common, they can occur. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- skin rash
- abnormal hair loss
- upset stomach
- loss of taste
- abnormal sensations (tingling, prickling, burning, tightness, and pulling)
- joint and muscle pain
- decreased white blood cells
- decreased platelets
If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- sore throat
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- right-sided abdominal pain with decreased appetite
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
- skin eruptions
What storage conditions are needed for Tapazol Methimazole 5mg?
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
In case of emergency/overdose
In case of overdose, call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. If the victim has collapsed or is not breathing, call local emergency services at 911.
What other information should I know while taking Tapazol Methimazole 5mg?
Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory.
Do not let anyone else take your medication. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription. lisinopril 20mg